Friday, April 22, 2011

Ginger's Nesting Adventures

The count is currently up to 4.

We're getting in the swing of things with her egg production.  Though she continues to insist on using the bushes as a nest, she doesn't mind me lifting her to get in them (they are in a raised bed).  When she has to lay, she paces her fence, so I know she needs to go out.  She's been going at all hours, so I've had to pay attention.  I let her out and she goes right to the spot, I lift her, and she checks the babies she already put there, rolling them and uncovering them.  Then she lays.  It is taking less time each time.  I watched today.  So cool!  She's been pretty constant, one egg every other day, save for one time she laid two in a row.

I think I know who the daddy is, and I don't think it's Ferdi.  Darn you, Arthur!  I've seen Ginger purposely "get in Arthur's way" quite a few times when he was doing his flirty dance.  Of course, Ferdi's gotten into the act too.  Once they both were working on it.  My my!  X-rated goings on on the pond!  Little trollup.

If she decides to set, these will be some interesting Buff-Chinese somethings.  I really have no idea what will come of it, as she's been serviced by both guys, as far as I can see.  I don't know if she will try to hatch them.  She's been pretty serious this time around, covering her babies after she lays, laying in the same spot, making the nest comfy, but she's not even a year old, which is young to be a mommy.  It's not unheard of though.  We will have to see.

I will keep you updated!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love to hear from you. Thank you for leaving your comment here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...