Saturday, April 30, 2011

The Continuing Adventures of Ginger

The count, when I last counted, was seven. 


She doesn't get up anymore now, unless she really needs a stretch.  Then she only does it for a short time, and it's back on the nest.  I've been feeding her and giving her water right there, since she won't get up.  It'd be better for her if she did, but she's determined.  She's been breaking twigs off the nearby bushes to make her nest nicer, and she's pulled out a considerable amount of her down to line the nest.  She spends the entire night in the bushes, with Ferdi and Arthur guarding her.  It's only right since one (or both) of them are the father. 

I am truly impressed with her fortitude.  She's not even a year old, and there she is, mommy material already.  It remains to be seen if anything will hatch--there are lots of variables, not the least of which is her young age.  If they do hatch, we should start to see some babies around the 26th of May. I would love to see her get at least one to hatch.  Just one, so she has something to show for all her work.  I'd hate to think she might be sitting on a nest of duds.  How heartbreaking.

What would I not like?  All seven to hatch.  Though I know she'd be thrilled, and I'd be thrilled for her, what am I going to do with seven BuffX geese?  I'd be going the Craigslist route, for sure, and putting a flyer in the feed store, that's what I'd do.  But I'll cross that bridge when and if I come to it.  For now, I'll be making sure she has what she needs, and that the dippy boys are doing their duty by her. 

I will keep you posted.  Cross your fingers for her!
post signature

1 comment:

I always love to hear from you. Thank you for leaving your comment here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...