Friday, June 21, 2013

Simple

Ah, it's that time of year!  The time when things start rolling in around here, and it feels like it's all starting to hum like a finely tuned machine, and I get to sit back and look at it all and think about where it's all going and how else I'd like to manage it.  There's a lot of managing in this job.  Those of you who also homestead know that as well as I do.  And there are plenty of things I have decided about future management that I'll share at some time. 

But not today.

Today is a day for simple.  You know what's simple?  Soap.  Soap is oil and lye and water, and this and that, and BAM!  Pretty and usable things come out of it.  I love making soap.  It is relaxing and fun and kinda frustrating too.  It's a good mix that keeps me on my toes.

I don't think I've mentioned this before, but I make soap to sell at a local shop.  I did a spring "line", and now I'm up to summer, and it's been going like hotcakes.  I just finished up the summer soaps, and I thought I'd share them with you before they go out the door and are never seen again.  (Don't mind the little edges and such--I'm still cleaning up the bars.)

First up, Blueberry Verbena.  It's pretty straightforward, I just love the colors of it.  So pretty!

Then, Hibiscus.  I just really wanted to do PINK.
 
Golden Honeysuckle.

White Ginger and Amber.  I tried to make it look like beach glass and a beachball.  It worked pretty well.

I also did a few batches for my brother and his fiancée.  They are:

Citrus Basil


Sparkling Mojito (and I think I found a new way to make pretty inside swirls)


Stormy Seas

 
Pink Pepperberry.  Again with the whole pink thing. I think it must be this room
 
And for my husband?  Bay Rum.  And no pink.
 
 
Yep, that was pretty fun.  It was a whole flurry of soapmaking craziness for a few days.  Now the nicest part is that my sewing office smells nice, and there's quite a bit of beautiful soap floating around.

However, while I was working on this, I realized "Hey, I have goat milk", so yep, I'm going to do some goat milk soaps.  But I have decided to do it with essential oils and natural herbs and colorings.  Colored soap is beautiful, but there's a lot of beauty in the simple, herbal soaps too.  I might even say that I like them more (but don't tell the other soap--I wouldn't want it to feel bad). 

Today is the last day of school, and the day before Lilly's due date.  It will be a busy one, I think.  Enjoy your summer solstice, everyone.  Remember to keep it simple!
post signature

2 comments:

  1. The Hibiscus is GORGEOUS....and I suspect it smells amazing too. Despite having goat's milk and having soap making on our TO DO list we haven't gotten around to making it yet. I'll be interested to see how yours turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so you have to tell me how I can get my hands on some of that! I've tried a local soap (which I like) and Indigo Wild's Zum soap (which ain't bad either), but I'm still on a quest for a good MAN soap. Cedar, sandalwood, dirt, 2-cycle gas, something along those lines. Maybe Bay Rum? Can I order directly from you? Email me at willowhomestead@gmail.com Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you. Thank you for leaving your comment here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...