Thursday, October 27, 2011

Got Eggs (again)? Make Quiche!

Yep, we're still in the middle of an egg glut, and still trying to find things to do with them.  We still can sell the extras, but many of them are still so small, so we leave them for us to eat.  Enter the creativity!
First, I made pasta.  Tons and tons of pasta (which is delicious, by the way), and I'll probably do it again, because it came out so well and it was fun to do.  But yet, I was looking for another way to use up a whole bunch of eggs.  Quiches are a good way.


It took me three days and 6 pie pans from the dollar store to do.  One day was spent cooking the separate ingredients and then refrigerating them after they'd cool.  Another day was spent making the crusts, refrigerating the dough and then forming the pies.  The third, all of it went together and then in to the oven to bake.  The result? 6 bacon, onion, mushroom and cheddar cheese quiches.  Yum! 

If you've never thought of using excess eggs in this manner, let me volunteer that it's fantastic.  With a pound of bacon, a pound of mushrooms, a bunch of onions, a little flour and butter and water, some herbs and salt and pepper and a lot of cheddar cheese (what good is quiche without a lot of cheese), you can have a number of meals.  Very inexpensive and easy to do.  It took me longer than I would have expected, but that's because I could only do a little each day.  I think I could have cranked them out in two days, easily.  Best part about them?  Not only are they delicious, they used 9 EGGS EACH!  Remember, the eggs are still pretty small.  But it did help me go through my stash. 

Bake these babies up and wrap them and freeze them well.  Anytime you need a meal, it's there.  Just warm them in the oven. 

Just another idea for eggstra eggs!
post signature

1 comment:

  1. I wish I had as much energy as you do when it comes to cooking, I'd call it quits after the first day! Great job, they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you. Thank you for leaving your comment here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...