The sap's been building up in the basement for days since my last debacle with the fire boil-down. On Monday, I boiled down in a big pot on the stove--only three gallons--and made more syrup in an attempt to keep on top of the gallons and gallons I get every day. It worked fine, but I did have to crack open the window and the door to keep the steam to a minimum. I'm glad I have no wallpaper in this kitchen, because I can see how it would take it right down. This boil-down was just fine, and I got nice syrup from it, but it was so silly. The sap sat for hours on the stove, which is a ridiculous use of electricity, and I don't think it was as fast as it could have been.
So another solution was to be found. I said "turkey fryer", and many of you said yes!! Several people had said that a turkey fryer would work (thank you!), and that confirmed what I thought. A direct jet of heat at the bottom of the pot has to do good things, no? Oh yes, my friends, oh yes. As I do not have a turkey fryer, my husband borrowed one from a friend at work (thank you!!) and I hooked it up today.
|I know the pot says "soap". Don't worry about that, read on. I'll explain in a minute.|
Does it work??
Is Rome in Italy?
Oh baby, it works!!!!!
Though my pot only holds a gallon and a half at a time, it got it up to the rolling boil in 1/2 an hour. And not just a boil, but a BOIL! I've not gotten that type of action any time I've tried this before. Wow! So today, I will do my chores outside, tending to the pot as needed to be refilled, and loving the fact that this might just work. If it does, I'll need to get a turkey fryer for myself, and it will make this whole process just SO much easier. Yippee!
Stay tuned, and we'll see how this goes.
Oh, and about the pot--it says "soap". Originally, I bought it at a discount shop to make soap in. But when I got it home and looked at the recipes I was making, the amount of soap would have been lost in that big pot, so it was impractical. Then I thought about it some more, and I think that the pot is made of aluminum, which is a big no-no when dealing with lye. So it's never had soap in it. Just sap. And for that it works just fine.