Friday, June 3, 2011

"So this is a working farm."

My dad said as he looked over the work-in-progress vegetable patch.  What did I say?  "Well, yeah".

Gosh, I sure am clever sometimes.

The reason he said it was because yesterday I did something that I've been wanting to do forever, but it's taken me years to get to where I thought I was ready.

I registered our farm's name and became a small business. 

I still don't feel like I'm completely ready.  There is so much for me to learn.  But I'm taking the steps I need to and asking lots of questions.  I don't know as much as I'd like, but I will.  What I do know is that farming is something I truly, down-in-my-soul believe in.  Not factory farming.  This kind of farming.  Where I can work with a small patch of land and really make a difference.  Where the animals will be raised humanely and treated wonderfully.  Where I can not only feed my family, but others with the good, clean, fresh food I raise with my own two hands.  We've been selling eggs for months.  I'm ready to go further. 

You want to know something?  I'm not brave.  I'm worried that, because I am new to this, I'll end up with 40 dozen eggs and 1 tomato to sell.  But I guess that the 40 dozen eggs will be something, so it is what it is.  I will start very small.  I will stay small.  But I will make a difference, I know it.  I will feed people the food they should be eating--good, fresh food--and I know they will see the difference.  This is something I believe in.  I really hope that I can do it.

Welcome to my farm, everyone.  We are open for business.

post signature

2 comments:

I always love to hear from you. Thank you for leaving your comment here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...